The Stevens Initiative is excited to invite alumni of our sponsored virtual exchange programs to apply to participate in our inaugural Stevens Initiative Alumni Fellowship. This fellowship will provide an opportunity for alumni to develop personally and professionally as global leaders, intercultural communicators, and cross-cultural collaborators while deepening ties to the Stevens Initiative. Fellowship activities will begin in December 2021 and will continue virtually every month until a final in-person event in Washington, D.C., in January 2023. All Stevens Initiative alumni are encouraged to read the program description, eligibility requirements, and application process below. Applications are accepted through the Survey Monkey Apply portal until October 10, 2021.
The Stevens Initiative Alumni Fellowship will facilitate leadership and professional development through a year-long learning program with monthly virtual learning sessions, bimonthly virtual activities, an opportunity to develop a follow-on project, and an in-person event in Washington, D.C. Fellows will explore practical leadership concepts, build on the cross-cultural skills developed during their virtual exchange program, and learn how to advocate for virtual exchange by demonstrating its impact in their communities. All Fellows should expect to dedicate 5-6 hours each month to the Fellowship. These hours will include pre-session preparation, a real-time learning session, and other independent activities.
To be eligible to participate in the program, alumni must meet all the following requirements:
- Participants must be at least 18 years old by the time the application closes (born before October 10, 2003).
- Alumni of a Stevens Initiative-sponsored virtual exchange.
- Moderate to high English language proficiency, assessed in the application through written answers and a recorded video. Alumni are encouraged to apply even if they are concerned about their level of English proficiency.
- Access to a computer with a strong internet connection, microphone, and webcam. Limited funding to cover high internet data costs is available for select participants that demonstrate need.
- For international participants, the ability to secure a J1 visa, which requires having an active passport and the ability to travel to a U.S. embassy or consulate for an interview. The Initiative will cover costs associated with securing a visa.
- Access to a bank account to receive funds for project support and participation.
- Commitment to complete all Fellowship components, including: 5-6 hours per month during the fellowship, attendance at the in-person event at the end of the fellowship (January 2023), and completion of the follow-on project selected during the fellowship.
Time Commitment and Expectations
Spots in the Fellowship program are limited, and the Stevens Initiative expects full and active participation throughout the program. Fellows will be selected carefully and should expect to spend around 5-6 hours per month on this program, including the monthly live session and additional activities and preparation. The success of this cohort-model training relies on engaged and attentive Fellows during live sessions and any other group activities. Live sessions emphasize interaction rather than passive learning. Participants are expected to do all pre-session preparation thoroughly and on time and arrive ready to engage in activities and discussions.
The Initiative is accepting applications through our Survey Monkey Apply portal. You can access this application here. The application for the Alumni Fellowship consists of multiple components, including:
- Demographic information, including your virtual exchange program.
- Five short essay questions.
- Additional items to upload including a resume, a video responding to a prompt, a photo, and a letter of recommendation and your recommender’s information.
All components of the application are required and must be completed by the deadline for the application to be considered complete and eligible for selection. You can view a PDF of the application here. You can watch a video that walks through the application process here.
The application will close at 11:59 PM U.S. Eastern Time on October 10, 2021.
Questions about the Fellowship? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.